Pages

Sunday 12 August 2012

My ankle is guffed

I knew it was going to happen eventually. 

On Thursday morning, during my interval training, I went over on my ankle. I thought I had got away with it at first, but that evening the swelling started and it began to hurt whenever I put substantial weight on it.

It wasn't too bad, just a twinge really, but when I got up to do my Friday morning jaunt I made it to the end of the street before I realised that running on it probably wouldn't be a good idea. 

So I'm now sporting this particularly snazzy number:

I've co-ordinated with my toenails and everything!

Don't get me wrong, it isn't a serious injury by any stretch of the imagination. But this isn't the first time I have suffered an ankle injury and so I know the consequences of not treating it with extreme caution. 

The last time I guffed my ankle I was only three weeks into my running training. I was full of excitement and enthusiasm for my new routine, and I was shocked by how frustrating I found it to be stopped in my tracks at such an early stage. I sat and cried as I iced my foot night after night - not because it was particularly painful, but because I felt that I had lost control of my body's health just weeks after I felt I had grasped it. 

So I started to look for alternatives to keep the momentum going. I went on a powerwalk - but that just made things worse. So I signed up to a gym and spent every second morning on the exercise bikes - a great way to get in some cardio without putting any pressure on my ankle at all. 

Needless to say, it all worked out well in the end - I was off my feet for about three weeks before I started up again pretty much where I left off. But those three weeks were slow and frustrating, and I would hate to suffer a repeat of that.

So I am keeping off my foot as much as I can. I'm on the bikes again, which personally bore me to tears but I would much rather do that than just sit on my backside and feel sorry for myself. 

I don't think my ankle is as bad this time around, so hopefully I won't be off my feet for quite as long but it is still pretty gutting. Ho hum. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment