Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred: Level One

As I mentioned previously, I am trying to shift a little extra weight in preparation of my holiday next month. So, in addition to cutting down on my food, I'm doing a fitness DVD: Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.


So what is the 30 Day Shred? Well, it is a fitness programme that promises to get you pretty much RIPPED in 30 days (okay, individual results may vary, but it will at the very least get you on your way).

The "Shred" has been on my radar (and in my DVD cabinet) for quite a while, but I have never tried it before because I always saw it as a temporary solution. I mean, what happens after the 30 days are up? I didn't really like the idea of doing the same fitness DVD for the rest of my life, so I gave it a by.

But now I have an occasion to work towards (did I mention I'm going on holiday?!), a temporary solution will be just fine. So I've decided to give it a go.

For those that don't know, Jillian Michaels is the scary lady that brings the pain on the Biggest Loser in the USA. She has a bit of a swagger on her and I certainly wouldn't like her as my own personal trainer, but luckily she doesn't answer back when I'm shouting expletives at the TV.

As seems to be obligatory for this kind of thing, she is joined by two grinning maniacs: Anita and Natalie. While you're sweating buckets and gasping for air, these two ladies are coasting through, looking like somebody jammed an invisible watermelon slice into their mouths.

Anita offers modified moves for beginners, whereas Natalie is the one to follow if you're looking for a bit of a challenge. I was able to keep up with Natalie for most of it, but when it came to the push ups, I decided to follow Anita.

Okay, I admit it. I've been practicing for nearly a year now and yet I still can't do more than five full push ups in a row. I'm a girl, I get it.

Anyway...

I started level one last week, and each level lasts 10 days. But because my holiday is in less than 30 days (squeeee!!!), I've decided to rock each level for only eight days instead.

The first workout went well. It hit that sweet spot between challenging enough to make me sweat, but not SO challenging that I needed a basin nearby to throw up in. The workout has a circuit structure, where you do 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes cardio, and 1 minute abs workout. This six minute cycle is repeated 3 times, so once you add your warm up and cool down, you're not working out for longer than half an hour.

As I'm no stranger to weight training, I completed the circuit with 3kg dumb bells. It provided quite a challenge for me, so don't be scared to go for lighter weights if you're new to this kind of thing.

So, level one goes a little like this:

CIRCUIT 1


Strength
30 secs x push ups
1 min x squat and shoulder press
Repeat

Cardio
30 secs x jumping jacks
30 secs x skipping rope
Repeat

Abs
30 secs x basic crunch
30 secs x reverse crunch

CIRCUIT 2

Strength
30 secs x back row
1 min x static lunge and bicep curls
Repeat

Cardio
30 secs x butt kicks
30 secs x punches
Repeat

Abs
1 min x side crunch

CIRCUIT 3

Strength
30 secs x chest flies
1 min x side lunge with anterior raises

Cardio
30 secs x jumping jacks
30 secs x butt kicks
30 secs x punches
30 secs x skipping rope

Abs
1 min x bicycle crunches

Afterwards, I felt pretty tired but in a good way. I found the strength bits to be quite challenging, but the cardio and abs provided a nice balance. I felt good.

In fact, I felt great.

Then the aches started.

It started as a slight twinge in my right bicep around 12 hours after I finished my first session. But, by the time I was due to repeat the workout the next morning, my whole upper body was on fire.

The second workout, without a doubt, was 10x harder than the first. Regardless, I pushed through. My lower body was coping quite well, but my arms and back were screaming. But I kept pushing.

After around the 3rd of 4th day, the aches started to subside. On the fifth day, I took a rest and went on a 10km run instead. That little rest helped lots, and even though I've done more Shred sessions since, the aches have now completely gone.

So I'm doing my final level one session tonight, and then moving on to level two. I'm kind of nervous about changing my routine, but excited to see what the next level has in store.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment