Pages

Sunday 26 February 2012

Kit

So Paris is in a week. Less than a week. This time next week, I will have run my first half marathon. In Paris. AAAAAHHHHHH.

The lurgie hit my training schedule pretty bad last week, the damn bastard thing decided to move south into my chest so I HAD to take it easy - there was no way I was taking risks this close to the race. I want to get to the starting line, at least!

So I only did a very easy 4k before work on Friday, and luckily I felt okay afterwards so I went for my run today as usual. With it being the last long run before the big day, I only did around 11k in a very steady 1 hour 20.

I'll probably do more runs next week, maybe a fun wee speed session early on and an easy session on Friday before I catch my flight to France. But apart from that, most of my hard work is done, I just need to hope it pays off on the day.

I don't have a time goal. I'm a pretty slow runner, so I'll probably come in around 2.30 - 2.40, but to be honest I'll be perfectly happy if I finish. This time last year I could barely run for the bus, so for me to run for a solid 21.1k is a pretty awesome achievement and I'm not going to let anyone tell me otherwise.

So, in mark of this event, I thought I would treat myself to some new kit. To give you some context, the last time I went shopping for "kit" was last April, when I took up running for the first time.

Well, that's kind of a lie. I've had to get new trainers since and a couple of new sports bras, but that's because I believe that you cannot skimp on these areas. If either your trainers or bra doesn't fit right, you can do yourself some proper damage. I mean, who wants mangled feet and saggy tits? Not me.

So yeah okay, trainers and bras I have replaced. But apart from that, I went out running this morning in the same kit that I wore when I went out for my first run 10 months ago:



The hoodie is a light cotton number that I bought from Gap around 3 years ago, and the jogging bottoms are a Lonsdale pair that I got when I invested in my first pair of trainers.

The trainers, incidentally, are the exact same model as I started running in, but I had to replace them last  December as they started to hurt my feet. I couldn't be bothered going through the whole charade of finding a new pair, so I just ordered the same set again off the web. I mean, if it's not broke, don't fix it, right?

I've been needing new bottoms for a while though, because the whole losing-weight thing means that I am no longer a size 16, and more like a size 10/12, so my joggers now kind of resemble very boring clown pants that I have to hoist up every half mile.

So yeah, I never thought I looked like a "proper runner", because I see all these folk out and about (including Mr. MFC) with sweat-wicking, skin-clinging polyester numbers that I never had the confidence to pull off. I've just stuck to my oversized cotton numbers - the only thing I think that shows I mean business is the glitzy Garmin on my wrist.

But to heck with it, I'm doing a half marathon next weekend, so I should probably get some stuff to make me look the part.

Cue some cheesy makeover TV show music...



The trousers were a nightmare to find. Who knew that running tights gave you camel toe?! Luckily, I managed to find this really nice pair in JD sports for £20 by a little known brand called Pure. They fit like a glove and they were cheaper than the Nike camel-toe inducing stuff. They also have a small bum pocket, so I have a place to put my keys when I go out. Win!

While I was on a roll, I got the jacket and the t-shirt in JJB Sports on a buy-one-get-one-free offer. The jacket is by Run 365 and was £17.99 - which I thought was fairly reasonable. It's really cosy, but also very lightweight. I probably should have got it before winter set in, but hey! Better late than never.

The t-shirt was meant to be £9.99, but I managed to get it for free on the BOGOF offer. It's also by Pure, but I'm not 100% convinced by it yet. The material is a little bit itchy-scratchy, but seen as I got it for nothing, I reckon it's worth a punt. I'll wear it on my next run and let you know how I get on.

So I got kitted out for a grand total of £37.99 - not bad going, I reckon. Now I feel like I can line up in Paris with my head held high - knowing that I look business and I mean business.

France isn't going to know what's hit it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment